Nuffnang Ads

Sunday 2 December 2012

a healthy breakfast option

I've been thinking about different breakfast options cos every single day I eat the same thing for the breakfast, TOAST. I'm not sick of it anything but it would be nice to have something different once in awhile.

So off I went in the search of other options and went no further to my favorite chef, Jamie Oliver and got this! Sounds pretty awesome right?

Pullokka (or Bircher Muesli)

8 large handfuls of organic Scottish porridge oats
2 large handfuls of ground bran
1 handful of chopped dried apricots
1 handful of chopped dried dates
1 handful of crumbled walnuts
1 handful of smashed or chopped almonds, hazelnuts or Brazil nuts

Add your porridge oats and bran to your plastic container with the apricots and dates.  Add the walnuts and your other chosen nuts (I usually bash them up in a tea towel).  At this point feel free to improvise, adding any other preferred dried fruits like raisins, sultanas or figs - but personally I think my combination works pretty well.  This will keep for a good couple of months very happily in your airtight container, but you'll have eaten it by then, I guarantee

Making and knocking together -

milk to cover
1/2 a crunchy apple per person, washed and unpeeled

I would definitely try to make this the night or day before you want to eat it, although it can be made at the time) but you won't get the smooth silky scrumptious texture that the milk gives it overnight - I normally place double the amount of composed cereal I need (i.e. 4 portions for 2 people ) into a bowl.  Doubling up like this gives you enough to eat for the next couple of days.  Cover with milk, grate in around half an apple per person and stir immediately to stop the apple discolouring.  Place in the fridge.

Tucking in and eating -

half a banana per person peeled and sliced or squashed
honey to taste

Remove the bowl from the fridge.  You will find it has softened and thickened, so loosen with a little milk.  Add your banana sliced or squashed.  You will find that a lot of natural sweetness has come out of the dried fruit, so add honey to taste.  Serve in a bowl with a dollop of yoghurt and some mixed berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment