Nuffnang Ads

Sunday 16 December 2012

Christmas

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year for a few reasons. There's something different in the air and everyone seems to treat each other nicer and be that bit kinder. December also marks mine and my Dad's birthday so that makes it an extra special month. I spend my birthday surrounded by Christmas decorations and Christmas carols are always playing in the background.

To me, Christmas is and always has been about family. In particular my parents. When I was younger till I was 20, our whole family would get together at my grandmothers place and open presents the second the clock hit 12. My grandmother would cook all the traditional Eurasian food, my aunt would make a shephards pie and sugee cake every year without fail and my dad would go to this deli at Alexandra and get sausages. It was a much simpler time when I was younger when everyone got along and loved each other. Sadly, this didnt continue once my grandfather sold their house and my grandmother came down with dementia. I think back sometimes and my heart aches that this all ended because the highlight of each Christmas since I was a baby was being with the whole family and seeing everyone's happy face and eating the wonderful food cooked by my Nana which noone can ever replicate.

Which is why my dream is to own my own place so I can continue this tradition. I love to spread the joy and warmth of Christmas which is why I put in alot of effort at Christmas time to buy small gifts and write cards for friends and family. So, now I have penned it down and I know it will  materialise. Once I get the keys to  my house, every Christmas eve I will host a dinner for my parents and friends. I don't think this tradition should die and I wish to revive it and preserve the Eurasian traditions at Christmas.

With that I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may the joy of Christ birth keep the fire in your heart burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment